Thursday, May 27, 2010

Morning in the garden


Morning is the best of all times in the garden. The sun is not yet hot. Sweet vapors rise from the earth. Night dew clings to the soil and makes plants glisten. Birds call to one another. Bees are already at work.”
~ William Longgood



So there isn't a lot happening in our garden plot at the moment - no bionic carrots leaping from the soil, no magical bean teepee appearing over night. It is a bit hard for the kids, who have really never gardened before, to get a sense about why we are spending our mornings watering dirt. There is a lot happening around us - beautiful flowers, phlox, and chives, borage and tiny yellow ones I haven't identified yet.

This week, with the bulk of our plot taken care of I turned towards some of the common community areas. I have started clearing out some of the raspberry patches and found a treasure of a giant but hidden rhubarb plant and a patch of mint under the thorns. I need to get a book for herbs to see if I can identify some of the other clumps that are healthy but inaccessible due to the thorns.  I have also been eyeing up a small space behind ours where I hope to be able to plant some wild flowers,  maybe Cosmos, Coreopsis, Echinacea, Wild Lupine and Bergamot.

In any case, I managed a small harvest of red raspberry leaves for tea and some mint to make minty lemonade for the kids. Soon I hope we will be bringing home a more substantial harvest after our morning visits.

No comments: